Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fantasy Football (both kinds)

So my time tonight has been limited after work because a group of my co-workers got together tonight for a fantasy football draft. I had the 3rd overall pick so I think I've ended up with a competitive team. After it was over I was thinking about how and who I would draft is there was a Fantasy Soccer draft. (ESPN currently has a game based on $ and setting a starting 11, but everyone can have the same players - not as fun). So I've decided to list out my starting XI , here are the rules:

1) Players can come from any league, but must be active
2) The formation used will be the standard 4-2-2
3) Since this is pure fantasy I will be drafting a team based on ability, style & my favorite players.

Strikers (2): David Villa, Didier Drogba
Mid-fielders (4): Lionel Messi, Xavi, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard
Defenders (4): John Terry, Patrica Evra, Nemanja Vidic, Sergio Ramos
Goalie (1): Iker Cassilas

So now that I've made my quick picks for the starting XI, what do you think? Send in your list to the comment section below.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd switch Torres for Villa, and Ronaldo for Becks. Other than that, solid list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picking the keeper seemed fairly easy to me. He dominates the Serie A and he dominates on the world stage.

    GK Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

    DEF John Terry (Chelsea)
    DEF Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
    DEF Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan) (sleeper)
    DEF Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus) (provides experience to the back line)

    Terry and Ramos seemed fairly obvious. I think Onyewu is one of the rising stars, and there's something to be said for experience in Cannavaro.

    MID Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
    MID Kaka (Real Madrid)
    MID Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
    MID Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)

    Maybe it's just me, but I think there's a fairly large gap between the first three and the rest of the pack. As seen in defense, I like rising stars, and Fabregas qualifies.

    ST Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
    ST Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona)

    This was by far the hardest part, because there are so many good ones here. Zlatan Ibrahimovic of Barcelona would be a strong pick, as well as Fernando Torres of Liverpool. My young gun here would be Alexandre Pato of AC Milan. Honorable mentions include Robinho of Man City, David Villa of Valencia, and just for kicks, Landon Donovan of the Galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was definitely considering Torres, Donovan & Ramos as well. If anyone every finds a fantasy league setup in the format of fantasy football please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GK: Julio Cesar

    D: Dani Alves, Maicon, Bosingwa,

    M: Xavi, Essien, Iniesta, Gerrard

    F: Torres, Messi, Villa

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner